Pant is one clothing item covering the human body’s lower part. Both for men and women. It is constructed from many different parts of pants which require different handling.
There are two kinds of pants. Basic pants for more official purposes or special occasions. Denim pants are generally used for general work or fashion or style purposes. These denim pants are usually called jeans.
Parts of Pants
There are a lot of parts of pants depending on the design. Including some trim and accessories. But the common parts can be seen as explained below:
1. Top Side / Front Rise
This is the front side of the pants. In jeans, it is called front rise. This is the side that has a zipper, two side pockets, and a coin pocket in jeans. You can put some accessories on the front side.
2. Back Side / Back Rise and Back Yoke
The back side of the pants is where you will sit. In jeans, it is called the back rise. Meanwhile, jeans also have a back yoke, which is the top part of the back rise connected to the waist belt.
In basic pants, the pockets are usually located in the front part of the pants. But in jeans, these pockets are also placed at the back rise. There is a coin pocket, a small pocket, usually located in the right front pocket of the jeans.
4. Waist Band and Belt Loops
These parts of pants are also called waistbands, where you can put the front button on the pants. Including the loops for the belt. The total of the loops is varying, between four up to six loops. Depending on the design.
5. Fly piece/Zipper Fly
This is usually placed on the front side. But in certain pants designed for women, they can also be placed on the side where they can be camouflaged along with the side stitch. There are four types of fly:
- Zippers fly.
- Button flies. Use buttons for the closure instead of a zipper.
- A Mock fly is not a zipper but it is just a stitch to be made like there is a fly.
- French fly, is the extra part of the zipper, usually a button to make the zipper look flat and smooth. Usually used in men’s pants.
6. Crotch Point/Cross
Is the bottom part of the upper parts of pants. Usually, the meeting point of the top and backside and also with the fly piece.
7. Leg Opening
Is the bottom part of the pants where your legs will come out. Usually connected with the bottom hem.
In the basic pants, hems are only placed at the bottom part where the leg comes out. But in jeans, there is also a side hem. Usually, the stitch is made on the side of the pants.
Machine Required for Making Pants
There are a few different sewing machines needed to make complete pants. Especially in jeans. Sometimes it is simpler for women’s pants due to the fabric used and the design. But overall, here are the types of sewing machines used for making pants:
- Plain sewing machine, which is good for simple design pants.
- Lockstitch sewing machine, used for pockets and loops.
- Overlock sewing machine for in-seam, and out-seam.
- Button holding machine, used for making button-holes.
- Button attaching machine, used for attaching buttons.
- Bar tack machine, for the pocket corner, belt loops, and zipper fly.
- Kansai machine to make the waist.
- Blind Stitch sewing machine for the bottom hem.
Accessories in Pants
Other parts of pants are accessories to complete the pants. These accessories are not always decorative items, but items that are needed for pants. Such as:
- Pocketing is the extra fabric for making pockets.
- Zippers can be made of nylon, brass, or even plastic.
- Buttons are put on the waistband, or as a replacement for a zipper.
- Hooks are sometimes used on the waistband instead of a button.
- Label, for main label, size label, or care instruction label.
- Sewing threads, usually with the same color as the fabric.
- Trimmings, such as hang tags, tag pins, tissue papers, price tags, and poly bags.
These different parts of pants are needed to make the pants complete and comfortable to wear. The name can be different between basic and denim pants. But the parts are all there.