Water that is adsorbed on the wool will condense and release heat. However, if you want to have wool with a water-repellent level, choose wool with a very tight weave.
How to Waterproof Wool Fabric?
Wool is just a water-repellent fabric, which to a certain level is not very resistant to water. However, if you want to make wool waterproof, you can follow these steps:
- The first step is to prepare a large container and fill it with warm water and add laundry soap.
- Then, in a separate bowl, add half a tablespoon of lanolin.
- Also, add a cup of hot water and stir until the lanolin melts.
- Add the lanolin mixture to the large tub you prepared earlier and mix all the liquids.
- Soak your wool garments and make sure they are completely submerged in the lanolin mixture.
- Let your wool garment soak for a maximum of 20 minutes.
- Then, put your garment to dry and avoid wringing and hanging it.
How to Care for Wool Fabric?
If you want your wool to last, you have to take good care of it, and avoid ironing it. This is because the protein structure in wool will change by ironing wool.
Then, you can prevent insects from eating away at the wool by keeping mothballs nearby. Also, avoid washing wool too often and use special detergents.
If you wash it in a washing machine, choose the gentle cycle. Then, dry the wool by laying it flat in its original form and avoiding squeezing it.
So, the answer to the question is wool waterproof? The answer is no because this fabric is only water repellent. However, if you want to try to make it waterproof, do some of the steps mentioned above.